Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    So, my principal question still remains:

Can I have a show of hands, of those who honestly believe that tax rates for the rest of us will NOT start heading in that direction pretty soon? After a 90% tax rate like this, hiking rates on the rest of us to a mere 50% or 60% should be much less shocking.
    I doubt Obama or Dems will significantly raise taxes on people below $250K. So with that limit, I don't make nearly enough money to be taxed at that rate.

You rich folk however are screwed.

Still not certain how retroactive laws over past actions can be legal, but when it comes to the tax code this happens all the time. Another point where precedent likely out ways the letter of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt
    clearly shows this is directed at certain people which imo, should violate the law against bills of attainder.
    Just curious, but how is this bill any different than say a bill that places a tax on cigarettes or luxury taxes on things like yachts?

And aren't bills of attainder pretty much restricted to punitive actions, not civil, same as the ex post facto laws discussed in the other thread.
    Last edited by DannyR; 03-19-2009 at 02:28 PM.