Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
Illinois is flat. Flat, flat, flat. Perhaps not as flat as Indiana, but flat.
Chicago is a cultural mecca. Theater, music, museums, all top notch. The Lake is beautiful and the skyline from the Lake is even moreso. Shopping is great, but taxes are very high. Definite blue state, more so every year. Average price for suburban home around $250-300k. Property taxes are high, anywhere in the 5 country area. Mine are over $7400k per year, property worth about $220. Gas prices highest in the nation, today 87 unleaded: $2.69.

Downside, the weather, I doubt there is a city anywhere that so enjoys the few nice spring and fall days. Other than that it's freezing or hot & humid or raining and nearly always the wind is at 30 mph or higher. Today was one of those rare days, low 70's sunny, mild breeze. I met a friend, had lunch outside, went for a walk by the river. Gorgeous!

Did I mention it's flat?
When I lived in Ohio we drove through chicago on our way to utah. It was huge. I don't like chicago's weather stats but it does have all the great things you mentioned arts, music, culture, diversity. Also mafia. Do you still have a large mafia crime family that runs things behind the scenes? Is the Mafia extinct?