Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    No, the Jewish Old Testament is the only written record of a people that is uninterrupted over thousands of years and has multiple authors.

All other religions are made up.
    Christianity is a branch of Judaism.
    So until man could write, religion didn't exist? Who invented writing, man or God? I'm just saying, spirituality is a intrinsically human trait instilled by our Creator as professed to be His own image. Religion, however, is not a product of God, but a product of man's attempt to live in harmony among all God's creations.IMHO

Surprisingly, the two religions that have the most believers worldwide are also the newest. Islam was born in 610 CE and Christianity started around 30 CE. While some count Abraham as the oldest prophet in Islam, that still puts this religion closer to modern times than many others.

Experts agree that the oldest organized religion is Hinduism, which dates back to 1,500 BCE, when the Vedas, the sacred texts of Hinduism, was written. Hinduism as a religion has no known individual creator, as it was put together from a variety of traditional beliefs from different cultures and mythologies. It is now the third largest religion in the world.

Judaism is another religion that was born thousands of years ago. Abraham, said to be born about 1800 BCE, is considered to be the father of Judaism. Moses, according to Jewish scholars, was the first to put the Torah in writing around 1400 BCE. Many consider the Torah to be the point where Judaism got its start.
    If we put aside organized religion, the oldest form of worship is Paganism, from which Wicca and other forms of Earth reverence were born. Mother Earth was worshipped as a Goddess as far back as Paleolithic times (about 30,000 years ago). Modern paganism is based on the Celtic religion, which had its origin about 1000 BCE in what is now modern Slovakia. Ironically, the religion that is now known as Celtic did not arrive in Britain until 200 BCE, but instead expanded across Europe first.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/which-are-th...-the-world.htm
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    So until man could write, religion didn't exist? Who invented writing, man or God? I'm just saying, spirituality is a intrinsically human trait instilled by our Creator as professed to be His own image. Religion, however, is not a product of God, but a product of man's attempt to live in harmony among all God's creations.IMHO

http://www.wisegeek.com/which-are-th...-the-world.htm
    Religion can be defined in many ways, but for the sake of conversation, this one in particular, I would look at it as a belief system in a hereafter and/or a spiritual being who created us.

Before writing, oral traditions carried on.

Your quote is kinda funny, cuz it claims Hinduism is the oldest written religion, but I didnt claim Judaism was the oldest written, just the only one with a long succession of time.
    I DONT CLAIM TO KN0OW ANYTHING ABOUT HUMAN NATURE
    N
    OIR DO I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRITICAL THINKING

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abso View Post
    yeah, i completely agree, those 6 women are cockroaches within Islam.
    As is this:http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...007238,00.html

[IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Must be allahs will.
    Last edited by LuvRPgrl; 04-26-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apparently my text didnt get inserted into this post with the following pics. These are muslim women mutilated by muslim (religion of peace?) for offenses such as talking to a Christian boy, being seen in public without the face covering veil, etc. etc.
    NONE of them did anything that would even remotely be considered a crime in America, like stealing, murder, assualt, or even something we frown on in America but isnt illegal, like adultry.

So, ABSO, got any response? You think it is good that a religion treat women like this?

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post

As is this:http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...007238,00.html

[IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Must be allahs will.
    N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I doubt that they want to wear those head coverings. The religion they bought in to demands that they do, so they do.
    I know this was an old post, but I want it clear that head coverings are not part of the religion. Head coverings are not enforced in the Quran. It is a cultural norm and up to the women to decide (sure there are pressures). Thus the vast differences in head coverings between muslim countries and many musim women don't wear any head coverings. For many muslim cultures the hair is another sexual body part. In western countries women cover their sexual parts. In that way it makes perfect sense and we can relate.
    Last edited by pete311; 05-18-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    I know this was an old post, but I want it clear that head coverings are not part of the religion. Head coverings are not enforced in the Quran. It is a cultural norm and up to the women to decide (sure there are pressures). Thus the vast differences in head coverings between muslim countries and many musim women don't wear any head coverings.
    It may not be in the Quran or Hadith, but it sure as shit is a "Muslim religion" thing. It's due to the issue of "modesty" in the Quran, where some of their cults take to more extremes than others. Do you think they wear it as a matter of "fashion"? No, they do so because of their Muslim religion. Something doesn't have to be in a holy book for wackjobs to make a part of their fucked up religion, and force people to do.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It may not be in the Quran or Hadith, but it sure as shit is a "Muslim religion" thing. It's due to the issue of "modesty" in the Quran, where some of their cults take to more extremes than others. Do you think they wear it as a matter of "fashion"? No, they do so because of their Muslim religion. Something doesn't have to be in a holy book for wackjobs to make a part of their fucked up religion, and force people to do.
    No it is cultural. Do you know what country has the most muslims in it? Indonesia. They don't usually wear head coverings. And actually many in modern mid east cities are wearing them as part of fashion. Downtown Cairo or Beirut is full of young muslim females wearing trendy head scarfs with designer jeans and tight shirts. I have seen it first hand. If you only watch news you'll think the mid east is only full of fundamentalist goat farmers. This is not true.
    Last edited by pete311; 05-18-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

No it is cultural. Do you know what country has the most muslims in it? Indonesia. They don't usually wear head coverings. And actually many in modern mid east cities are wearing them as part of fashion. Downtown Cairo or Beirut is full of young muslim females wearing trendy head scarfs with designer jeans and tight shirts. I have seen it first hand. If you only watch news you'll think the mid east is only full of fundamentalist goat farmers. This is not true.
    Point me out all the places that non-muslims are wearing them...
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Point me out all the places that non-muslims are wearing them...
    old ladys usually wear a type of head scarf outside

anyway, it is arab culture, makes sense it is worn in the mid east and not in say brazil. outside north america it is uncommon to see people wearing baseball caps (though gaining polarity in some groups). many men also wear head scarfs, especially in saudi. it is desert culture. don't want to be outside in a sandstorm without one.
    Last edited by pete311; 05-18-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

old ladys usually wear a type of head scarf outside

anyway, it is arab culture, makes sense it is worn in the mid east and not in say brazil. outside north america it is uncommon to see people wearing baseball caps (though gaining polarity in some groups). many men also wear head scarfs, especially in saudi. it is desert culture. don't want to be outside in a sandstorm without one.
    The "hijab/burqa" is a muslim thing, which makes it a religion thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

The "hijab/burqa" is a muslim thing, which makes it a religion thing.
    we're gonna go around in circles. there is no enforcement of head coverings in the quran. Indonesia is 88% muslim and they rarely have head coverings. nigeria is 50% muslim and rarely wear head coverings. Bangladesh is 88% muslim and rarely have head coverings.

some countries even ban and have rules against head coverings. turkey has banned head coverings in school and government. tunisia publicly encourages no headscarf. syria has banned full face coverings. morocco it is frowned upon in public. Malaysia has banned full face covering.

only in Kuwait, Iran and Afganistan is the scarf mandatory. and that is only by law. the head gear is political and cultural. not religious. the vast majority of women decide for themselves what they want to wear.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

You stated that the head coverings were not part of the religion, I corrected you. Only Muslims wear the hijab/burqa, although not all muslims do. It's not in the quran or hadith, but still a practice ONLY done by muslims. it's a religious practice to SOME muslims but ONLY muslims.

"muslim" is not political or cultural - it is a religion. The very term muslim is based on the quran.

You can spin all you like, but it's only muslims wearing the crap and muslim-religion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their outergarments (jilbabs) close around themselves; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle."
    Qur'an Surah/Chapter Al-Ahzab Ayah/Verse 59

"And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms (jaybs), and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to Allah together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful"
    Qur'an Sura Nur Chapter: The Light. Verse 31

Those who harass believing men and believing women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a grievous sin. O Prophet! Enjoin your wives, your daughters, and the wives of true believers that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): That is most convenient, that they may be distinguished and not be harassed. [...] (Qur'an 33:58–59)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burqa

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

You can spin all you like, but it's only muslims wearing the crap and muslim-religion.
    did you even read my post? what makes it cultural is that it's predominately popular in the middle east. more muslims live outside the mid east than inside. there are more muslim women in the world wearing no head scarf than wearing one. it's just the icon for a muslim women is usually a photo from within iran and afganistan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I rest my case with the above quotes, which can also be found on another million sites around the 'net.