Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Calif. schools turn away unvaccinated students

Some California schools are turning away middle and high school students who have not received a required whooping cough vaccine while others are defying a law passed last year after a historic spike in cases of the potentially fatal disease.The law approved last September initially required all students entering grades seven through 12 to get vaccinated by the start of the 2011-2012 school year. Lawmakers passed a 30-day extension this summer as districts worried many students wouldn't meet the deadline.
    Under California law, students also can still attend if their parents file a form saying they oppose vaccines.
    No statewide estimates of the number of students turned away is available because districts are not required to report their final vaccination tally until December, state education and public health officials said.
    But anecdotal reports from individual districts indicate the percentage of students meeting the requirement varied widely, from about half of students to nearly all.

"We've done a tremendous amount of outreach with the schools trying to let them know," said Linda Davis-Alldritt, the school nurse consultant for the education department.

On Thursday, San Francisco Unified School District began sending home students who arrived without proof of vaccination or a parental personal belief exemption. District spokeswoman Heidi Anderson said the district estimates about 2,000 students, or 10 percent of the student body, are still unvaccinated. The district held a free vaccination clinic at its offices Thursday and was providing shots at individual schools on Friday.
    District officials were optimistic that most students would be able to return to class soon.

"We're getting down to it," Anderson said.

The Folsom Cordova Unified School District hit the extended deadline Friday for having all students immunized. Mary Ann Delleney, director of health programs for the district, said about 2,250 students who have yet to get vaccinated won't be turned away.
    "We will not withhold education for students, but we will make every effort that we possibly can to be in compliance with state law," she said. The district had 70 whooping cough cases last year, she said.

State education officials said allowing unvaccinated students on school premises at all broke state law, but that the education department had no power to sanction defiant districts. Schools in California lose money for each absence.

Allowing unvaccinated students to come to school also puts the students themselves and others exempted from the vaccine for medical or personal reasons at greater risk, said John Talarico, chief of immunization for the California Department of Public Health.
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=17273267

I never had shots as a kid because of the religions my parents were I had exempt cards.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=17273267

I never had shots as a kid because of the religions my parents were I had exempt cards.
    I do not believe in allowing exemptions to vaccinations for public school attendees. Well, yeah okay you can be exempt, just educate your child somewhere else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I do not believe in allowing exemptions to vaccinations for public school attendees. Well, yeah okay you can be exempt, just educate your child somewhere else.
    shrug, I never had shots growing up. The first time I ever had a shot was when I was married my husband made me get shots.

Don't vaccines have part of the disease in them?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

shrug, I never had shots growing up. The first time I ever had a shot was when I was married my husband made me get shots.

Yes they usually have a dead version of the disease that your body can recognize and build up an immunity to it.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

My concern is all the other stuff they put into the vaccine...not just the dead disease that's in there. What type of delivery system are they using in the vaccine?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    My concern is all the other stuff they put into the vaccine...not just the dead disease that's in there. What type of delivery system are they using in the vaccine?
    Chicken eggs are the preferred method of cultivating the disease, needles are the preferred method of delivery.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poke View Post
    Chicken eggs are the preferred method of cultivating the disease, needles are the preferred method of delivery.
    As a kid we got vaccines using a sugar cube as the delivery system....nowadays they also deliver via nasal mist spray.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've had all my shots now so none of you need to worry, I ain't contagious.....

But this guy I worked with said his mom was more into alternative medicine and and he never got shots either as a kid.

I guess I wasnt the only person in the world that was left out of that immunization experience.

I am no religion now and so I go to the doctor is I have to but I really have to be seriously ill I still don't like going.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Here is more of what I was talking about re "delivery systems" ... not the obvious one of needles, but the delivery system of getting the vaccine into the body's immune system.

Recent developments in vaccine delivery systems.

O'Hagan DT.
    Source

Chiron Corporation, 4560 Horton Street, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA. derek_o'hagan@chiron.com

Abstract

New generation vaccines, particularly those based on recombinant proteins and DNA, are likely to be less reactogenic than traditional vaccines, but are also less immunogenic. Therefore, there is an urgent need for the development of new and improved vaccine adjuvants. Adjuvants can be broadly separated into two classes, based on their principal mechanisms of action; vaccine delivery systems and 'immunostimulatory adjuvants'. Vaccine delivery systems are generally particulate e.g. emulsions, microparticles, iscoms and liposomes, and mainly function to target associated antigens into antigen presenting cells (APC), including macrophages and dendritic cells. This review will focus on recent developments in vaccine delivery systems. Immunostimulatory adjuvants are predominantly derived from pathogens and often represent pathogen associated molecular patterns (PAMP) e.g. LPS, MPL, CpG DNA, which activate cells of the innate immune system. Once activated, cells of innate immunity drive and focus the acquired immune response. In some studies, delivery systems and immunostimulatory agents have been combined for more effective delivery of the immunostimulatory adjuvant into APC. A rational approach to the development of new and more effective vaccine adjuvants will require much further work to better define the mechanisms of action of existing adjuvants. The discovery of more potent adjuvants may allow the development of vaccines against infectious agents such as HIV which do not naturally elicit protective immunity. New adjuvants and delivery system combinations may also allow vaccines to be delivered mucosally.

<dl class="rprtid" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 15px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 1em; line-height: 1.4em; color: rgb(87, 87, 87); display: inline; "><dt style="display: inline; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px !important; white-space: nowrap; ">PMID:</dt> <dd style="display: inline; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; white-space: nowrap; ">12455401</dd> <dd style="display: inline; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; white-space: nowrap; ">[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12455401</dd></dl>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you ever get bit or scratched by a rabid animal, trust me, get the shots.

As a kid we got vaccines using a sugar cube as the delivery system....nowadays they also deliver via nasal mist spray.
    How are we supposed to fear doctors that give sugar instead of shots?
    Last edited by darin; 09-19-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

How are we supposed to fear doctors that give sugar instead of shots?
    It's not the doctor or the needle that raises my concern....it's the combination of what's in the needle that concerns me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not the doctor or the needle that raises my concern....it's the combination of what's in the needle that concerns me.
    See, it isn't sugar you have doubts about.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

See, it isn't sugar you have doubts about.
    Nope ... not sugar and especially if it's administered with a little chocolate and a kiss!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope ... not sugar and especially if it's administered with a little chocolate and a kiss!
    Love me some chocolate kissing.
    hershey20kisses_med.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

We're not talking about dropping acid sassy.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99