Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Ahh - freeze-dried. Yeah, circa 1980? You're THAT old? wow. MRE's also had non-freeze-dried entries, too - even wayyyyyyyyyyyy back then. I turned 8 in dec of 1980...just sayin.
    I was at my first duty station. Y'all can say what you want. I wouldn't eat MREs cold and that whole "meal, ready-to-eat" thing is a misnomer. C-Rats were like having Sphagetti-Os, etc.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I was at my first duty station. Y'all can say what you want. I wouldn't eat MREs cold and that whole "meal, ready-to-eat" thing is a misnomer. C-Rats were like having Sphagetti-Os, etc.
    Yep. Of course back then you could cook, shave, and shower in your steel pot. Made a pretty good camp stool and sometimes sufficed as a pillow, though the mask was better for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Not pickier, just older. I have heard stories about how awful the early MREs are. The current ones while not gourmet food, aren't dogfood either. I actually still have some stored away.
    Truth is if you are hungry enough you will eat ANYTHING.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

See, my memory of MREs is things like Spaghetti and meatballs or peanut butter and jelly sandwich and had M&Ms or something like that for dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Yep. Of course back then you could cook, shave, and shower in your steel pot. Made a pretty good camp stool and sometimes sufficed as a pillow, though the mask was better for that.
    UGH, what I remember about the steel pot is Drill Sergent Edwards having us boots lay on the ground with our steel pots under our chests with our arms behind our backs as some sort of "exercise." Not sure what that exercise was supposed to accomplish other than to entertain said drill sergeant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

UGH, what I remember about the steel pot is Drill Sergent Edwards having us boots lay on the ground with our steel pots under our chests with our arms behind our backs as some sort of "exercise." Not sure what that exercise was supposed to accomplish other than to entertain said drill sergeant.
    Heh ... builds character as do most exercises in futility!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heh ... builds character as do most exercises in futility!
    Got that right. I also remember filling MANY a sandbag only to march by the same spot the next day and see another platoon emptying those very sandbags . LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Truth is if you are hungry enough you will eat ANYTHING.
    I DID shave and "shower" in my steel pot. I couldn't stand that kevlar helmet. Only thing it was good for was to sit on your head. Can't even dig with it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I DID shave and "shower" in my steel pot. I couldn't stand that kevlar helmet. Only thing it was good for was to sit on your head. Can't even dig with it.
    Too true. The lighter weight of Kevlar didn't make up for the loss of utility in my book.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Too true. The lighter weight of Kevlar didn't make up for the loss of utility in my book.
    You had to use your canteen cup for the utility stuff once they issued us the kevlar helmet. Heh ... and you KNOW a few hard-heads had to burn up their helmets just to see if it was true you couldn't heat it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, didn't the Marines include one of those nifty little folding shovels in your kit? What a trench tool, they may as well have just given us spoons. Lighter and just as effective.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

So, didn't the Marines include one of those nifty little folding shovels in your kit? What a trench tool, they may as well have just given us spoons. Lighter and just as effective.
    We had e-tools. The steel pot displaced more earth at one time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Yeesh! you guys are giving me flashbacks! I remember when the "new" entrenching tool was issued too. Too many danged moving parts. I kept my old wooden handled one for a long time after that just because I like it better. Longer handle = more leverage.

Man we sound like a bunch of old geezers sitting around the cracker barrel at the general store! LOL
    Last edited by darin; 01-08-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Yeesh! you guys are giving me flashbacks! I remember when the "new" entrenching tool was issued too. Too many danged moving parts. I kept my old wooden handled one for a long time after that just because I like it better. Longer handle = more leverage.
    That was another thing the military hosed up. That collapsible e-tool was worthless. In a pinch, those wooden handled e-tools made pretty good weapons. The collapsible one might get you over on a little kid or something.

Man we sound like a bunch of old geezers sitting around the cracker barrel at the general store! LOL
    Hmmm .... I'm thinking you and I are the only ones sounding old.
    Last edited by darin; 01-08-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

That was another thing the military hosed up. That collapsible e-tool was worthless. In a pinch, those wooden handled e-tools made pretty good weapons. The collapsible one might get you over on a little kid or something.
    Oh yeah. If you were really lucky you got one issued with the pick (spike) on the back. Good for skewering snakes of all kinds!
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm .... I'm thinking you and I are the only ones sounding old.
    You gentlemen want a warm-up on your coffee? *snaps chewing gum obnoxiously*
    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    You gentlemen want a warm-up on your coffee? *snaps chewing gum obnoxiously*
    and a big slice of apple pie!

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Remember back in the mid 90s when we had pretty good MREs, LBE's, Ammo pouches, and the little metal clip things that held them to the pistol belt?

Heh heh ... plastic snap on the pistol belt! I did like that improvement.
    Last edited by darin; 01-08-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Thomas Jefferson