Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    I didn't see reference to such, if true, it would change my opinion slightly. IF there guarantees that the would NEVER allow firing outdoors.
    Indoor, in the basement.
    WATERBURY, Conn. (WTNH) -- Parents in Waterbury trying to stop an indoor gun range next door to a school hope to get the Board of Education on their side.The gun range is proposed to open in the basement of a building next to Sprague Elementary school.
    Parents and others are concerned about lead dust emissions, traffic, and the idea people will be coming to the neighborhood with guns.
    http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_hav...d-of-education
    Last edited by logroller; 05-31-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Then , as I said I would have to rethink. Not saying I fully change my mind, I mean what if a liquor store wanted to sell booze 200 feet from the school and promised to only sale in the basement?

This isn't near as open and shut as Darin would lead us to believe though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Then , as I said I would have to rethink. Not saying I fully change my mind, I mean what if a liquor store wanted to sell booze 200 feet from the school and promised to only sale in the basement?

This isn't near as open and shut as Darin would lead us to believe though.
    I think a titty-bar would be a better example than a liquor store. I think what he's trying to say, and what I too gathered from the OP, is the ignorance of some range opponents; as demonstrated by some of their statements. Lead is a valid concern; except gun ranges have strict rules regarding filtration. Traffic is bogus; I mean, a school generates way more traffic than a gun store. But most of all I think its the concern over the presence of guns in the vicinity; which I think you and I see as a valid concern...except, of course, there already are laws on carrying a loaded weapon. Every range I've ever been to had a rule about transporting weapons unloaded, until at the firing line. What I think most people unfamiliar with firearm safety don't understand is the person who goes to gun range is more likely than the average joe to be a diligent regarding such rules. Training is the key, and practice at a range is part of that training.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My High school had a range in it. As a member of the Rifle team I shot there 2 hrs a day M-F for four yrs. No one was ever hurt in any way. Imagine that.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't like guns and I don't support the right to carry one (but one should be permitted to keep a gun in their homes for personal protection) but since they are legal, it is only fair to have a shooting range - but near a school? No matter how safe this range is claimed to be, there is always the risk that someone could get hurt.

They can have their shooting range, but it would be best to move it to a place away from the general public - especially schoolkids.
    "You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders – The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war in Asia” – but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”! - Vizzini (The Princess Bride)
    http://mywinterstorm83.livejournal.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nell's Room View Post
    I don't like guns and I don't support the right to carry one (but one should be permitted to keep a gun in their homes for personal protection) but since they are legal, it is only fair to have a shooting range - but near a school? No matter how safe this range is claimed to be, there is always the risk that someone could get hurt.

They can have their shooting range, but it would be best to move it to a place away from the general public - especially schoolkids.
    Take a guess where the vast majority of accidental firearm deaths occur?

Hint: it's not at the gun range.

Answer

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

First - did you read the story?

Secondly - "there's always a risk"? Logical fallacy at best. The existence of ANY risk from ANYTHING "always" exists. Would you prohibit air traffic from flying over the school, because you know there's ALWAYS a risk the plane could hit the school. Cars, too - Drivers in Cars kill more americans than anything, yet cars are FREELY ALLOWED to whiz past the school. There's always a risk someone could get hurt, ya know...

There's NO risk a round could leave the indoor shooting facility and strike the school or anyone in/around it. When I use the word 'no' I mean to say 'the statisitcal risk is so low as to be non-existent.'

People like to get hopped up about buzzwords without looking at the facts.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    First - did you read the story?

Secondly - "there's always a risk"? Logical fallacy at best. The existence of ANY risk from ANYTHING "always" exists. Would you prohibit air traffic from flying over the school, because you know there's ALWAYS a risk the plane could hit the school. Cars, too - Drivers in Cars kill more americans than anything, yet cars are FREELY ALLOWED to whiz past the school. There's always a risk someone could get hurt, ya know...

There's NO risk a round could leave the indoor shooting facility and strike the school or anyone in/around it. When I use the word 'no' I mean to say 'the statisitcal risk is so low as to be non-existent.'

People like to get hopped up about buzzwords without looking at the facts.

Still, I can see why some would be concerned. Now surely some have went overboard with that concern here, and I don't think I personally would think that the level of concern warrants telling them they can't have their shooting range; but there IS reason for concern.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

^ I disagree...I think 'reason' has little to do with their concerns. If they look at things objectively, reason would say 'no worries' - at least no more amount of worry than from any other potential hazzard.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    ^ I disagree...I think 'reason' has little to do with their concerns. If they look at things objectively, reason would say 'no worries' - at least no more amount of worry than from any other potential hazzard.
    And I disagree with you. When it comes to my child's safety I don't give a rat's ass how small the risk is, it concerns me.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

And I disagree with you. When it comes to my child's safety I don't give a rat's ass how small the risk is, it concerns me.
    Do you concern yourself with flight patterns or traffic patterns, too?

I mitigate risk as much as I can with my kids - without keeping them bubbled-up. An indoor shooting facility across a bridge and within an inustrial area - that happens to be somewhat near a school is of such a tiny, ity bity statisical risk its of almost zero concern for me. I based that on 'reason'. Reason says, handgun and rifle ammo can't go through the ground, and u-turn back across a river and strike a child. Reason says my kids' risk of an airplane falling on them at school is probably higher than that of being shot by a stray bullet from an indoor, underground? range.

but...OOH!! A GUN range 'sounds' bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

So, from what I've been able to find out:

1.) The range is "a few hundred feet away" from the school.
    2.) The range is in a basement, with solid earth or rock walls all around.
    3.) Person entering or exiting are strictly controlled, as is true of most ranges.

Has anyone found any way in which this range, (which is NOT "next to the school") is any more dangerous than the cars driving driving by the school at all hours? Or the swimming pools that many schools have? Or the buses the kids ride on in uncontrolled traffic?

This appears to me to be to be nothing more than a case of unthinking adults horrified by the very idea of guns, drooling and slobbering like Pavlov's dogs at the mere mention of "a shooting range" and children in the same sentence.

Why did anyone listen to them for more than one second in the first place?
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I don't like guns and I don't support the right to carry one (but one should be permitted to keep a gun in their homes for personal protection) but since they are legal.
    Then by all means DON'T have one, thats the great thing about freedom YOU have the choice to NOT have a gun and I have the CHOICE to own one!! See how that works??

, it is only fair to have a shooting range - but near a school? No matter how safe this range is claimed to be, there is always the risk that someone could get hurt.
    Just walking to school or getting in a car and driving to school involves risk, how about waiting on the bus in the dark by the road think there might be risk in that to? Hell why don't we make in mandatory that school start after 10 in the morning to avoid any traffic and let them out by 2 to be sure to once again avoid traffic.... You knwo need to cut down on that whole "risk" thing!!

They can have their shooting range, but it would be best to move it to a place away from the general public - especially schoolkids
    Why?? What better place to put a indoor shooting range than next to a school!! It gets the children and their parents TALKING about the use of firearms and the SAFE handling of said firearms and if there are questions you have shooting experts right down the road to share their knowledge and show PROPER/SAFE handling of the firearms.

So tell me who would you rather have find daddys gun in the closet little timmy who has never seen one before because he might get hurt by it so was forbidden from touching of sooting it or little Johnny who has been going to the range and learned all about safety and knows to get an adult to lock it up or has the knowledge to do so themselves. Me I choose the educated child ones like my own who all learned to shoot as small children and know exactly what to do if they were to ever come across a unattended firearm!!!
    Last edited by Nukeman; 06-01-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Liberals never cease to amaze me. The ignorance and absence of detail, fact and even the lack of simply common sense THEY usually display is overwhelming, if not downright disturbing.

THEY are fine with handing out condoms, showing sex videos or "educating" our kids if sex is a possibly for that child or group of children YET they prefer to keep children ignorant of gun safety and far, far away from guns or responsible folks who know how to handle a gun. I know that schools once had gun teams with 22 cal. as the rifle of choice (with NO incidents that I'm aware of) and there may still be some schools that have gun teams or gun safety courses (I KNOW they still have archery teams) and I'm for this type of education before they teach a preschool kid how to place a condom on a cucumber.

Would be great to know that our kids had some form of immediate protection if ever, Jesus forbid, that some evil kid/adult stormed the school grounds like in times past. I'd feel safe knowing that 20 or so employees and customers of the nearby/next door business had the ability to come a-runnin' and shoot that trash down like the dog they are (without waiting on the usual slow response of cops to get there). I'm sure the quick response time of those next door would indeed save more lives than the one life lost to a stray bullet (should a shot go through the VERY, Very, very thick wall after a VERY, Very, very well trained and responsible person (who knows gun safety front and back) pulled the trigger. It is probably more likely for a meteor or nut/bolt from NASA to come down and kill a kid more than a stray round. In that regard, I suppose we could thank the @$$ hole who is currently occupying the White House for keeping our kids safe now that he has clamped down on NASA.

In closing, I would LOVE for there to be such a business near/next door to my kid's school...it would keep me, and my two teen girls from having to drive to our own personal range. Despite the ignorance of the left in preventing such things, Kids need to be educated in the safety of guns and the important history that guns have played in our heritage and FREEDOM.
    Last edited by red state; 06-01-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammor

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

WiccanLiberal, as defined by her user name, is a liberal NOT like that. She/he? seems VERY well adjusted, reasonable, and intelligent. See also: Juan Williams of Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by red state View Post
    Liberals never cease to amaze me. The ignorance and absence of detail, fact and even the lack of simply common sense THEY usually display is overwhelming, if not downright disturbing.

THEY are fine with handing out condoms, showing sex videos or "educating" our kids if sex is a possibly for that child or group of children YET they prefer to keep children ignorant of gun safety and far, far away from guns or responsible folks who know how to handle a gun. I know that schools once had gun teams with 22 cal. as the rifle of choice (with NO incidents that I'm aware of) and there may still be some schools that have gun teams or gun safety courses (I KNOW they still have archery teams) and I'm for this type of education before they teach a preschool kid how to place a condom on a cucumber.

Would be great to know that our kids had some form of immediate protection if ever, Jesus forbid, that some evil kid/adult stormed the school grounds like in times past. I'd feel safe knowing that 20 or so employees and customers of the nearby/next door business had the ability to come a-runnin' and shoot that trash down like the dog they are (without waiting on the usual slow response of cops to get there). I'm sure the quick response time of those next door would indeed save more lives than the one life lost to a stray bullet (should a shot go through the VERY, Very, very thick wall after a VERY, Very, very well trained and responsible person (who knows gun safety front and back) pulled the trigger. It is probably more likely for a meteor or nut/bolt from NASA to come down and kill a kid more than a stray round. In that regard, I suppose we could thank the @$$ hole who is currently occupying the White House for keeping our kids safe now that he has clamped down on NASA.

The following is your on-topic content:

In closing, I would LOVE for there to be such a business near/next door to my kid's school...it would keep me, and my two teen girls from having to drive to our own personal range. Despite the ignorance of the left in preventing such things, Kids need to be educated in the safety of guns and the important history that guns have played in our heritage and FREEDOM.

And I agree w/ your last sentence...here's a photo of my daughter three years ago; aged 10.

</SPAN>

3859064823_d281291eac_z.jpg