Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Burqatastic!

Parents are demanding answers after a Texas teacher reportedly invited female students to dress up in Islamic garb and told the class to refer to Muslim terrorists as freedom fighters. Texas state Sen. Dan Patrick, chairman of the Senate Education Committee, has launched an investigation into the incident. He told Fox News he was disturbed after seeing a photograph of female students wearing
    burqas and learning that students were reportedly taught that the cause for Egypt’s turmoil is democracy, not the Muslim Brotherhood, based on an article by the Washington Post.

The lesson on Islam was apparently taught in a world geography class at Lumberton High School in Lumberton, Texas...
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...investigation/#
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the teacher should be fired! And the school should be sued fro emotional distress.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I came across a rough British equivalent of this, quite some time ago. See ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-truant.html

A Roman Catholic schoolgirl has been labelled a truant after she refused to wear a headscarf during a compulsory trip to a mosque.

Amy Owen, 14, and fellow girl pupils at a Catholic secondary school were told to cover their heads and wear trousers or leggings out of respect for their Muslim hosts.

But when her mother objected, saying she did not want her daughter to 'dress as a Muslim', she received a sternly worded warning letter from the headmaster saying she had no choice.

Peter Lee, head of Ellesmere Port Catholic High School in Cheshire, informed her that the local diocese 'requires' pupils to have an understanding of other religions.

In the letter - with words in block capitals and underlined - Mr Lee said the visit was 'as compulsory as a geography field trip'.

He added: 'There are two reasons for these visits. One is that the scheme of work in religious studies REQUIRES children to have knowledge and understanding of other world religions.

'The second is that the school is REQUIRED to promote tolerance respect and understanding. This is known as community cohesion.

'A failure to do this could result in an unwelcome inspection judgement. None of us would relish that.

'Whilst I may not require you to pay for this I must require your child to participate.'

Total disrespect for Catholic sensibilities .. combined with an overriding of them, in order to promote a pro-Muslim 'understanding' ... BY COMPULSORY ORDER ..
    Last edited by Drummond; 02-26-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

When I read the OP it occurred to me that this COULD be innocent ---- that is, not pro-Muslim coercion. (I would view that as wrong.) That is, that the kids dressing up is a pretty darn good illustration of why it's better not to have to do that!!! For both the boys and the girls: try it and be horrified.

And the "freedom fighters" and "democracy is the problem" business could be sarcasm.

I hope so, and if so, I hope the teacher doesn't get in trouble.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    When I read the OP it occurred to me that this COULD be innocent ---- that is, not pro-Muslim coercion. (I would view that as wrong.) That is, that the kids dressing up is a pretty darn good illustration of why it's better not to have to do that!!! For both the boys and the girls: try it and be horrified.

And the "freedom fighters" and "democracy is the problem" business could be sarcasm.

my brothers girlfriends daughter came home one day declaring she would no longer eat meat.

The vegetarian teacher had them matching the faces of animals to cuts of meat.

little things in school can impact children badly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is nothing wrong with the kids dressing up to learn about other cultures. I do hope though that they were not told that the Burqa and Niqab are from Islam as they are cultural garb. Only the Hijab is written about in the Qur'aan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I came across a rough British equivalent of this, quite some time ago. See ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-truant.html

Total disrespect for Catholic sensibilities .. combined with an overriding of them, in order to promote a pro-Muslim 'understanding' ... BY COMPULSORY ORDER ..
    All women (and men) are supposed to cover up when visiting a Mosque. It is out of respect for Islamic traditions that it is done. Thousands of tourists visit historic Mosques throughout the world and people are asked to cover up and it's never a problem.

As for Catholic sensibilities, aren't catholic women supposed to cover their hair and be silent in Church?
    اشهد ان لا اله الا الله و اشهد ان محمدا رسول الله

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

On the face of it I don't have a problem with kids learning about other cultures. But politically involving them as to whether someone is a terrorist or a freedom fighter, would depend on each and every incident. And if they teach these kids about the MB, they should teach them about ALL of the Brotherhood, not just pieces.

But here's where I have an issue. Islam and their religion are one and the same, and part of that is how some dress. They are edging awfully close to having these kids taught about Islam as a religion. I'm cool with them teaching certain things about the western world, and muslims, I think it would be sad to have them allow certain religious things while tossing out every aspect of any other religion.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jafar00 View Post
    As for Catholic sensibilities, aren't catholic women supposed to cover their hair and be silent in Church?
    Never heard of that. The women at all of the Churches I have been to don't do that, and are actively involved as much as men. Outside of the priests, there are 2x as many women "working" at my church, and others I have belonged to growing up in NJ.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quite simply... no. You're a moron to even think it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is nothing wrong with the kids dressing up to learn about other cultures. I do hope though that they were not told that the Burqa and Niqab are from Islam as they are cultural garb. Only the Hijab is written about in the Qur'aan.

All women (and men) are supposed to cover up when visiting a Mosque. It is out of respect for Islamic traditions that it is done. Thousands of tourists visit historic Mosques throughout the world and people are asked to cover up and it's never a problem.

School is not a mosque now is it. Burkas are not a cultural form of clothing... it is a religious statement in clothing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Op is not burqatastic..

THIS, is burkatastic!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    On the face of it I don't have a problem with kids learning about other cultures. But politically involving them as to whether someone is a terrorist or a freedom fighter, would depend on each and every incident. And if they teach these kids about the MB, they should teach them about ALL of the Brotherhood, not just pieces.

But here's where I have an issue. Islam and their religion are one and the same, and part of that is how some dress. They are edging awfully close to having these kids taught about Islam as a religion. I'm cool with them teaching certain things about the western world, and muslims, I think it would be sad to have them allow certain religious things while tossing out every aspect of any other religion.
    a burka is not ....cultural. It is religious.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Never heard of that. The women at all of the Churches I have been to don't do that, and are actively involved as much as men. Outside of the priests, there are 2x as many women "working" at my church, and others I have belonged to growing up in NJ.

it is an older practice.... but yes covering your head was an accepted practice in christian churches. It is what morphed into the fashion show of clothing for women on Sundays today.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The best way to have an American NOT do something is tell them it's compulsory. Just like it says on my license plates: "Live Free or Die".
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post

Well, in the example I posted, the Catholic mother was in the situation of the local education authority INSISTING that her child dress as a Muslim. Not that it was suggested. Not that any possibility of choice existed. It was DICTATED that she must do so.

I see nothing good about parents losing control over the way they prefer their children to be brought up. Showing 'respect' for an alternative culture is one thing, but having those differences forced upon you, in a manner that nobody but the education authority controls .. that's something else. It's a brand of indoctrination, and State-led at that.

I suggest this: whether we're talking about my example, or the example this thread led with, what we have here is a Left-wing influence using children's sensibilities to promote a Left-wing agenda.

And I say it is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!