Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    Why would the Vatican need to encourage the laity to take up the Liturgy if they already had a tradition of doing it?
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jafar00 View Post
    Well said. It seems that the Old Testament is irrelevant to Christians until it serves a useful purpose to uphold what is written in there.
    I suppose if you kept up with the rest of the thread, you know that this is still currently a part of the Catholic Church. Your desire to hop on the back of an atheist and somehow toss out an insult towards Catholics, well it fell flat. I would suggest that you stick with what you do know instead of insulting Christians and how they pray, based on incorrect information from another persons post. And I certainly don't try and teach CHILDREN to be defiant to their teachers in school.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Ugh...I see the Catholic bashing has carried over to this thread too. I am not even close to Catholic, but the bashing does get old.
    What's the purpose?
    Thought this thread was about Muslim's and prayer in schools...shrug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    Why would the Vatican need to encourage the laity to take up the Liturgy if they already had a tradition of doing it?
    you are being willfully stupid, and continually ignoring this...

The Liturgy of the Hours, along with the Eucharist, has formed part of the Church's public worship from the earliest times.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Ugh...I see the Catholic bashing has carried over to this thread too. I am not even close to Catholic, but the bashing does get old.
    What's the purpose?
    Thought this thread was about Muslim's and prayer in schools...shrug
    Where has anyone bashed Catholics in this thread?
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Originally Posted by jafar00
    Well said. It seems that the Old Testament is irrelevant to Christians until it serves a useful purpose to uphold what is written in there.

I suppose if you kept up with the rest of the thread, you know that this is still currently a part of the Catholic Church. Your desire to hop on the back of an atheist and somehow toss out an insult towards Catholics, well it fell flat. I would suggest that you stick with what you do know instead of insulting Christians and how they pray, based on incorrect information from another persons post. And I certainly don't try and teach CHILDREN to be defiant to their teachers in school.
    I think the bigger message in Jahil's post, is that he's being hypocritical... since he at various times claims the parts of the Qur'aan that agree with his opinion are to be followed always, but the parts of the Qur'aan that do not agree with his opinion are only for certain ancient times and not to be followed today... rendering it irrelevant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Because not everyone follows every last detail. They likely feel the encouragement might prompt them to be more 'Catholic'. The Church I go to encourages prayer every single week, even though the majority of parishioners already pray. They encourage spreading love, even thought the tradition has long been there. They encourage spreading peace, and turning to your fellow parishioners to offer the sign of peace, even though there has been a long tradition of this. They encourage things in almost every single mass and communication, and much of it already has a long traditional roots in Catholicism.

Face it, you were wrong, no other way to slice it. There ARE set hours as I stated from the beginning. Rather than just be a man and admit you were wrong, you'll now go off on semantics and play games. The canonical hours have been there for a LONG LONG time. How would you even have a CLUE who chooses to follow this and who doesn't? I mean, you've met that many Catholics to, as an atheist, claim that no one follows this? That's absurd. Everything I have stated has been backed up with facts.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Where has anyone bashed Catholics in this thread?
    Mainly you just bashing a Catholic and implying to everyone who has read the thread that I am lying or ignorant of my own religion that I have followed for 40+ years. Cool though, all cool with me, I'd much rather win out on facts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you are being willfully stupid, and continually ignoring this...
    I'm not arguing that the liturgy doesn't exist. I'm not arguing that it hasn't been a part of the Catholic Church since it's beginnings. I'm certainly not ignoring anything.

How about just answering the question?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Mainly you just bashing a Catholic and implying to everyone who has read the thread that I am lying or ignorant of my own religion that I have followed for 40+ years. Cool though, all cool with me, I'd much rather win out on facts.
    I haven't said anything anti-Catholic in this thread and your accusation that I've been bashing you IS a lie.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not arguing that the liturgy doesn't exist. I'm not arguing that it hasn't been a part of the Catholic Church since it's beginnings. I'm certainly not ignoring anything.

How about just answering the question?

I did not SAY you claimed it didn't exist. Do try to keep up.

YOU keep saying it was not part of the deal for laity early on... and I've posted a link (as have others) which says it HAS been part of the deal for laity from early on. YOU just keep pretending we never posted those links and claim we said somethign we didn't.

Willfully stupid.

It boggles the mind that you cannot understand the words 'from the earliest times', and somehow think they mean 'not from the earliest times'. It's like you're saying oranges are not orange.

The Liturgy of the Hours, along with the Eucharist, has formed part of the Church's public worship from the earliest times.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I haven't said anything anti-Catholic in this thread and your accusation that I've been bashing you IS a lie.
    Implying that I am a liar, that something in MY religion is not law/tradition, and not having the 'nads to admit you were wrong when faced with FACT that it is canonical law - tells me that you want to bash my opinion about equality and Catholics perhaps wanting to pray at specific times too. You are STILL trying to fight that it's law for the laity and still implying others don't want to or don't follow this law/tradition.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

YOU keep saying it was not part of the deal for laity early on... and I've posted a link (as have others) which says it HAS been part of the deal for laity from early on. YOU just keep pretending we never posted those links and claim we said somethign we didn't.

Willfully stupid.

It boggles the mind that you cannot understand the words 'from the earliest times', and somehow think they mean 'not from the earliest times'. It's like you're saying oranges are not orange.
    But he KNOWS Catholics, maybe in the tens of thousands even. So nevermind canonical law and all the other proof given, he hasn't seen it, therefore it cannot be tradition.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Willfully stupid.

And yet YOU ignore and leave the question unanswered again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

And yet YOU ignore and leave the question unanswered again.

They also encourage all kinds of things around Christmas time. Do you also think celebrating Christmas is not a tradition? My church has an entire month of festivities encouraging good will and love for the season. It's a good thing they did this too, as I never would have known had they not!