Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post

The older version. Apparently you remember the attire. The song has always meant something to me. Usually melancholy and loss. Don't know why. I listen to it more than once a year. Never get tired of it.
    That's the one I listen to. I like it better and the singer nailed it when he was young. He still does mighty fine as an older man but nothing like the original..

I remember singers dressing like that but we Southern boys never did. We were too wedded to our blue jeans (Levi's), sleeveless shirts and slicked back hair.. Although I did later go about with long hair simply because it gave me good cause to fight so often when the rednecks tried to f-with me about it. I liked that as it kept me in practice..
    Alas, those damn good 'ole days are damn sure gone for good. Most of us old timers from that era miss that "free love trip" the gals were into back then. Man it was hog heaven!!! --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    That's the one I listen to. I like it better and the singer nailed it when he was young. He still does mighty fine as an older man but nothing like the original..

I remember singers dressing like that but we Southern boys never did. We were too wedded to our blue jeans (Levi's), sleeveless shirts and slicked back hair.. Although I did later go about with long hair simply because it gave me good cause to fight so often when the rednecks tried to f-with me about it. I liked that as it kept me in practice..
    Alas, those damn good 'ole days are damn sure gone for good. Most of us old timers from that era miss that "free love trip" the gals were into back then. Man it was hog heaven!!! --Tyr
    I like the original recording to listen to. Watching however, I think his voice suits how he looks now better. I have a hard time placing that voice with how he looked in '68.

I must be about 10 years after you. I was a teen in the 70s. I'm NOT sorry those Beatles frock, banded collar coats went out before my time. I did however sport a pair of striped bell bottoms or two in the late 60s. My mom's idea of dressing us "mod". All I ever wanted was a pair of Levis. First thing I did when I started doing the lawnmower drag through the neighborhood was take my proceeds and buy a pair.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I like the original recording to listen to. Watching however, I think his voice suits how he looks now better. I have a hard time placing that voice with how he looked in '68.

I must be about 10 years after you. I was a teen in the 70s. I'm NOT sorry those Beatles frock, banded collar coats went out before my time. I did however sport a pair of striped bell bottoms or two in the late 60s. My mom's idea of dressing us "mod". All I ever wanted was a pair of Levis. First thing I did when I started doing the lawnmower drag through the neighborhood was take my proceeds and buy a pair.
    Ten years sounds close to right , I was born in 54'.. I wore bell bottoms back during my hippie, free love stint years. Had to dress the part for the gals you know. However never wore the big bells. That crap looked just too damn freaky for me! Stayed away from the hard drugs because I could not allow myself to ever get that ffed up because I had enemies by the score just waiting to catch me really ffed up enough to try to break me! Went thru my 'downers' pain pills stint and survived it.. That was a real tough bitch to kick. I kicked it mostly by staying drunk long enough to win the battle.

Hell, looking back I wonder how the hell I ever lived to get past 30.. I was around too many very bad people and 75% of my compadres died before ever making it to the big 3 0..

Had three friends go to Nam, one came back ok, one came back in a box and the other came back minus a leg. Between motorcycle wrecks, bar fights(as a bouncer mostly), too much booze, too many mean ass women this old dog shouldn't even be here.
    The women took a damn bigger toll on me that all the others combined! Two of them "pert nert ruined me". --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)

Ten years sounds close to right , I was born in 54'.. I wore bell bottoms back during my hippie, free love stint years. Had to dress the part for the gals you know. However never wore the big bells. That crap looked just too damn freaky for me! Stayed away from the hard drugs because I could not allow myself to ever get that ffed up because I had enemies by the score just waiting to catch me really ffed up enough to try to break me! Went thru my 'downers' pain pills stint and survived it.. That was a real tough bitch to kick. I kicked it mostly by staying drunk long enough to win the battle.

Hell, looking back I wonder how the hell I ever lived to get past 30.. I was around too many very bad people and 75% of my compadres died before ever making it to the big 3 0..

Had three friends go to Nam, one came back ok, one came back in a box and the other came back minus a leg. Between motorcycle wrecks, bar fights(as a bouncer mostly), too much booze, too many mean ass women this old dog shouldn't even be here.
    The women took a damn bigger toll on me that all the others combined! Two of them "pert nert ruined me". --Tyr
    Make that 5 years. I was born in 59.

I hear ya on the "how'd I ever survive" front. I spent my later teen years in Miami late-70s-80 and I wasn't running with little dogs NOR under the porch. I joined the Marines and got the fuck out ahead of the posse. Never been back and don't plan to. Did my stint as a bouncer there.

I hear ya' on the women thing too. I'd probably be my actual age if not for the extra wear and tear they've put on me.

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Make that 5 years. I was born in 59.

I hear ya on the "how'd I ever survive" front. I spent my later teen years in Miami late-70s-80 and I wasn't running with little dogs NOR under the porch. I joined the Marines and got the fuck out ahead of the posse. Never been back and don't plan to. Did my stint as a bouncer there.

I hear ya' on the women thing too. I'd probably be my actual age if not for the extra wear and tear they've put on me.

I chalk my heart attack three years ago to the overuse, overwork, and abuse health destruction dealing with those two ex-wives during our marriage .. First one was near three years together, second one 21 years. Yep, I know 21 years just proves me to be a stubborn ass glutton for punishment. However I did stick it out for my daughter.. We divorced as soon as she turned 18. Take about walking out of prison. That day of my divorce this man stopped being a domestic POW and went searching for a real woman .Finally found her(4 years) because I no longer searched in bars and nightclubs. Those places are great for fine loose women but looking for wives they both suck.
    Hey bro' being above ground has its perks you know. As long as your lizard still works fine it does. The Filipina wife (27 years younger than me) has yet to complain about mine.. Knock on wood. And a 7 year old son this old dog has to stick around to raise..
    My biggest complaint is my damn meds force me to give up on whiskey!! that suxs... -Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)

I chalk my heart attack three years ago to the overuse, overwork, and abuse health destruction dealing with those two ex-wives during our marriage .. First one was near three years together, second one 21 years. Yep, I know 21 years just proves me to be a stubborn ass glutton for punishment. However I did stick it out for my daughter.. We divorced as soon as she turned 18. Take about walking out of prison. That day of my divorce this man stopped being a domestic POW and went searching for a real woman .Finally found her(4 years) because I no longer searched in bars and nightclubs. Those places are great for fine loose women but looking for wives they both suck.
    Hey bro' being above ground has its perks you know. As long as your lizard still works fine it does. The Filipina wife (27 years younger than me) has yet to complain about mine.. Knock on wood. And a 7 year old son this old dog has to stick around to raise..
    My biggest complaint is my damn meds force me to give up on whiskey!! that suxs... -Tyr
    Yeah, well, my whiskey forced me to give up on the whiskey. That's a war I'd just as soon miss next time around. Funny how all that hard living crap catches up to you. I never thought I'd live this long to begin with. My last little bout with Jack put me in the hospital, detox, then jail. Was enough for me. I don't see it getting better, and I don't like ANY of those places.

I don't know a lot about women in bars but I've given up on rebounders. If there's one within 20 square miles she'll find me. They use you for what they need and then toss you when they're done and can stand on their own two feet.

Domestic POW, huh? I'm more of a domestic retard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)