Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So they are dying out by overpopulation then? just breed till they can no longer be sustained and then starve? cause i dont see how any animal increasing in population can by dying out.

Currently New Delhi, India (at least until I piss off someplace else)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    So they are dying out by overpopulation then?
    Of course not. The polar bear population is actually decreasing despite what some say.

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/where...?uNewsID=63980

The polar bear population in Canada’s western Hudson Bay has declined from around 1,200 bears in 1987 to less than 950 bears in 2004, according to the latest research from scientists, part-funded by WWF*. The decline is linked to rising temperatures.

Polar bears in the western Hudson Bay rely upon annual sea ice for access to their primary prey, ringed seals. During the summer months, when Hudson Bay is ice-free, bears remain on land where they make little use of terrestrial food sources.

In the past 30 years rising temperatures have increased the duration of this ice-free period – and the bears’ seasonal fast – by three weeks. Scientists say this indicates the decrease in population size appears to have been initiated by earlier summer ice break up in the Hudson Bay, which caused the bears' body condition to decline.

It also may explain why the town of Churchill, on Hudson Bay, like many communities in the Canadian Arctic, has experienced an increase in the number of bear occurrences in and around town. Apparently, a larger number of nutritionally-stressed bears are visiting the Churchill area each year in search of alternative food sources.

Because western Hudson Bay is near the southern limit of the polar bear’s range, the scientists’ findings may foreshadow how more northerly populations will respond to projected warming in the arctic ecosystem.

In February, the US Fish and Wildlife Service announced that it is opening the formal process to list polar bears as officially "threatened" due to the unprecedented meltdown of their sea-ice habitat caused by global warming. There are between 20,000 and 25,000 polar bears in the Arctic.
    Think about it and let us know your proposal to help the bears. Your input will be much appreciated.
    Convert to the BPR - Beer Pizza Religion. Worship at the altar of the beer (or other) babes.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    The bears are drowning in search of food, not getaways.
    SEAL HATER!!!!!
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    SEAL HATER!!!!!
    I'll bet seal is tasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the bears are allegedly dieing because they can't find enough food up there in the frozen north. That doesn't sound like a global warming problem to me.
    "Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    So the bears are allegedly dieing because they can't find enough food up there in the frozen north. That doesn't sound like a global warming problem to me.
    Have you not been following the thread? I have said repeatedly that the bears have to swim greater distances to find ice floes that are moving further and further away from the coast due to global warming, and die during the long swim which they cannot complete.

The problem is definitely one of global warming. Question is, how can we help the bears?
    Convert to the BPR - Beer Pizza Religion. Worship at the altar of the beer (or other) babes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    I take it literal when she's making claims of things in context with the term "millions of sites".....
    What ever dude!!!!!!
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The bears are drowning in search of food, not getaways.

Actually, I have found that most of the reliable sources state they are dying out.

I only posted that once. Pictures sometimes help to get the word out faster. It's important to make one's posts visually attractive, otherwise, they get drowned amongst all the tremendously negative posts on here.

That study was likely not conducted in a scientific fashion. Some of the local hunters think the number of bears are increasing as more move inland in search of food but in actuality they do so simply because they cannot find food close to the floes on the coast and also because the floes are drifting futher apart.

These are exactly the type of comments that are not required. The point of the OP was to ask how to save the bears, not discuss different ways of killing them.

Once again, how would you propose saving the bears?
    Here s the thing with you ALL OF YOUR SIGHTS ARE RELIABLE AND EVERYONE ELSE'S IS NOT. Must be great to always have the correct answer in everything you do in life. I'm going to bet you never make a mistake either (at least not one you would admit to).

You are so self centerd to think you are always right and everyone who doesn't agree with you is obviously ignorant, stupid, closedminded or flat out wrong.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Have you not been following the thread?
    Evil SEAL HATER!!!
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you not been following the thread? I have said repeatedly that the bears have to swim greater distances to find ice floes that are moving further and further away from the coast due to global warming, and die during the long swim which they cannot complete.

The problem is definitely one of global warming. Question is, how can we help the bears?
    So...bears eat ice? I distinctly remember you saying that they were having trouble finding food.

As for them drowning looking for ice because of 'global warming,' what about summer? The Earth has warmed 1 degree farenheit in the past 100 years. The area the bears live in warms at least 40 degrees every summer...like everything else not at the equator. I don't think they'd notice that tiny difference in a place where the ice cap recedes hundreds, if not thousands of miles every year before regrowing later that same year.
    "Lighght"

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well if they aren't willing to participate in their recovery by giving us some clues we may have to try a Martian mind meld.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cropped pictures help a lot in getting a point across. making sure your subject is facing the right direction and cropping out any thing around them makes the picture tell a whole different story.

Like the picture of the old woman standing by a bombed out building looking forelorn and helpless during the Israeli hiz war. Except when the full picture is shown its a building that was not bombed but being torn down by construction equipment. Lies come in pictures as well as words.

Global warming will continue until it stops and there's nothing man is going to do about it. It's not caused by man and it won't be fixed by man.

Best thing you can do for polar bears is stay out of their way. They are really mean.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So...bears eat ice? I distinctly remember you saying that they were having trouble finding food.
    I have explained this repeatedly. The bears find most of their food, which is ringed seals, on the floes. They thus swim to the ice floes to find food, but the floes are melting and receding from the coast line. I am unsure as to why you are finding it so difficult to comprehend about this simple fact.

As for them drowning looking for ice because of 'global warming,' what about summer? The Earth has warmed 1 degree farenheit in the past 100 years.
    Not at the rate at which it is now, though.

The area the bears live in warms at least 40 degrees every summer...like everything else not at the equator.
    I don't think they'd notice that tiny difference in a place where the ice cap recedes hundreds, if not thousands of miles every year before regrowing later that same year.
    But, the problem here is that the ice caps are receding in the winter not the summer. The bears hunt during the winter, then come ashore to feed their cubs during the summer. That is the problem here, that there aren't any floes within accessible range at any time of the year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Cropped pictures help a lot in getting a point across. making sure your subject is facing the right direction and cropping out any thing around them makes the picture tell a whole different story.
    As long as the pictures aren't retouched, there isn't anything wrong with posting a few. Pictures help to get the word out and arouse sympathy for the cause.

I wonder how we can save the bears.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But, the problem here is that the ice caps are receding in the winter not the summer. The bears hunt during the winter, then come ashore to feed their cubs during the summer. That is the problem here, that there aren't any floes within accessible range at any time of the year.
    That's bullshit. The arctic circle doesn't see the sun for 6 months out of the year and the temperature drops dozens of degrees. For ice to be receding during that time is a scientific impossibility. It's like saying you can heat water by moving it to the shade.
    "Lighght"