Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    What are you talking about? There is no reference to you in this thread.
    He's a Marine and former Drill Instructor...DI....has all the right in the world to respond here.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    He's a Marine and former Drill Instructor...DI....has all the right in the world to respond here.
    I feel like there's a lot of fuckups who have been turned around by the military....

Thoughts?

3. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

BD, you are entirely correct. I have seen kids who parents have discarded like refuse turn into responsible adults. I have also seen kids join the military for the paycheck. They either get their act together or get thrown on the bus home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    I feel like there's a lot of fuckups who have been turned around by the military....

Thoughts?
    I know of at least one...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post

Thoughts?
    I was basically a criminal living life in the fast lane in Miami. I joined to get the f- out. Haven't looked back. Back then, nobody knew sh*t from Shinola. My "Delayed Entry Program" lasted from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. My recruiter picked e up and said, BTW, if you want to see your grandparents, tell them to meet us at the airport. I was like WTF? Didn't bother to mention quite a few things. Like our uniforms are Olive and tan. Nobody runs around in Dress blues but recruiters. Marines go out to sea. THERE was one I didn't see coming. Nor did he ask me if I was afraid of heights which at the time I was. Failed to mention that little tidbit and guess what I spent a whole bunch of time doing?

I can still to this day remember running in formation in boots and utes, carrying a rifle, The clips on my canteen rubbing hole in my back and thinking I can just quit. Then Gunny kicked in. F*ck THAT. Quit my dying ass. Ended up dragging another recruit by his jacket because he fell out. Had the same last name as me and I always got in trouble because of his screw ups. He was killed in Beirut.

Most recruits are dumbass kids. They master their fears and suck it up or they wash out. I was an irresponsible guy that worked at a biker bar. My family was betting on whether or not I'd make it to 21.

Try encouraging him. Maybe he needs to get away. There are worse choices to make. Trust me.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

7. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Jeff liked this post