Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    A key point here is that this is happening to asslyum seekers who check in at the border.

Over 80% of asylum seekers have been adjudged by the courts to have no merit. That is why they bring the kids. Knowing that asylum cases take longer than the time we are allowed to hold the kids, the previous administration allowed the family into the country with a promise to appear at a later date. Well over 90% never appear for that hearing and voila, the kids become "dreamers" and eligible for legalization. The Democrat dream, legalization of criminality.

But this isn't even why this bullshit is a wall-to-wall national concern. The Democrats and their propaganda arm in the media desperately needed a shiny object to distract the public from a devastating IG report on the hyper-partisan criminal activity at the top of the FBI. Have you noticed how much attention the IG's report has gotten vs the child "crises" (that's been going on for decades) at the border?

2. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Of the 12,000 children being held in detention centers, 10,000 were unaccompanied when they crossed the border. Damn, no mama's arms to rip them out of! But the reason there are so many unaccompanied minors is due to an Obama policy to let them in, distribute them around the country, legalize them and then use them to 'unify' families by bringing in the rest of the extended family. This is how you blow up the orderly, legal immigration laws established by Congress. If this plan was hatched by anyone other than The Dear Leader, they would be rotting away in federal prison for the rest of their lives on child trafficking charges.

4. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Is that where folks are supposed to go in seeking asylum? And no paperwork or other reasoning needed? What would then stop EVERYONE from claiming they are seeking asylum at the border?
    Asylum seekers claim their lives are in danger, so no paperwork. It's supposed to be a life and death situation. Each case is investigated. I would imagine many that who claim to seek asylum don't pass the smell test and waved away. Some rightly do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)

A key point here is that this is happening to asslyum seekers who check in at the border.
    That's not a point. It's an excuse. What do you call an asylum seeker? An illegal immigrant if they're on this side of the border.

No work in your home country is NOT a valid reason to be granted asylum.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

7. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Seeking asylum isn't the same as having had it granted. Until it is, anyone crossing the border, does so illegally.

Effectively, they're saying 'We're here. So, you must house and provide for us until the legalities (if any finalised !) are dealt with'.

That, surely, is massively arrogant !!
    You are free to argue its merit, but it's been the US custom to protect/shelter lives that are truly in danger (for documented reasons).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    That's not a point. It's an excuse. What do you call an asylum seeker? An illegal immigrant if they're on this side of the border.

No work in your home country is NOT a valid reason to be granted asylum.
    The US has clear guidelines on seeking asylum so I don't know what your talking about
    https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/r...-united-states

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Asylum seekers claim their lives are in danger, so no paperwork. It's supposed to be a life and death situation. Each case is investigated. I would imagine many that who claim to seek asylum don't pass the smell test and waved away. Some rightly do.
    Of course there is paperwork, and in this case it's I589 - and asylum seekers are STILL supposed to come here LEGALLY and then apply to stay via asylum. Again, if not, EVERY illegal can simply claim to be seeking asylum, with no paperwork. It doesn't work that way.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

THIS IS NOT DIRECTED TO YOU, @pete311, JUST ADDING CLARITY.

The process correctly done is this:

In the country of origin, a person can go to the U.S. Embassy requesting paperwork
    to begin the process.

This form needs to be completed in full and signed: https://www.uscis.gov/i-589
    Note that there are additional forms in the left margin that could be useful to begin a legal process as well.

Once examined, there will likely be a hearing to determine eligibility. If it is positive,
    the person need only to present it to Customs Border Patrol at the point of entry to the USA.

Just traveling to the border, demanding asylum is not going to go well.
    This is what we are seeing now with upholding our LAW as being viewed by many on the liberal left
    as being cruel, racist, or any of a myriad of other modifiers.

Put it this way, if someone knocks on your door, family in tow, and demands shelter, food, medicine,
    schooling,employment for him and his family, do you as a gracious liberal allow them in?

If not, then why should we as a nation allow it to be done illegally?

If so, then trot down to the nearest Customs or INS office and offer to sponsor them,
    thus assuming full responsibility for them and their 'family'.
    Last edited by Elessar; 06-19-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The US has clear guidelines on seeking asylum so I don't know what your talking about
    https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/r...-united-states
    Thank you, and those guidelines backup what I was saying.

And if someone DOES show up, cross illegally and have no paperwork - then they get detained like every other person coming across the border illegally.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Of course there is paperwork, and in this case it's I589 - and asylum seekers are STILL supposed to come here LEGALLY and then apply to stay via asylum. Again, if not, EVERY illegal can simply claim to be seeking asylum, with no paperwork. It doesn't work that way.
    My point is you apply when you arrive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

My point is you apply when you arrive.
    And then get treated as an illegal alien. Unless of course they entered legally and then file the appropriate paperwork. Applying for asylum when caught crossing over a border isn't a get out of jail free card, nor would it be so if they tried to reach a legal port of entry.

15. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I wonder why liberals never answer my questions.

Why should an illegal immigrant be treated any differently than an American that goes to jail for a legal reason? Why is there suddenly so much craziness about this, even though it also happened under Obama's term? Yes, families were in enclosed fenced areas back in 2014 as well. Why so much sudden sympathy for these families and these children - and daily and yearly, very little, if any, sympathy and outrage for the treatment of veterans? What about the treatment of impoverished children? The illegals kids get better treatment than they do.

Sure, I'm more than confident that many folks feel bad. It sucks, but breaking the law has consequences. But I'm also more than confident that this is more about condemning Trump, as usual of course, even though such things were happening before and no outrage at all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

And then get treated as an illegal alien. Unless of course they entered legally and then file the appropriate paperwork. Applying for asylum when caught crossing over a border isn't a get out of jail free card, nor would it be so if they tried to reach a legal port of entry.
    Yes, but those that pass the initial smell test I think should be treated differently than someone just hopping the border for other reasons. Asylum seekers should be registering at a port of entry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yes, but those that pass the initial smell test I think should be treated differently than someone just hopping the border for other reasons. Asylum seekers should be registering at a port of entry.
    Wanting them treated differently is one thing, but that's not always reality. They should have the form ready and extremely valid proof if they expect to be treated differently than any other illegal.

If it's a woman and her child coming from an area known for it's current war or a reason to assume one's life is truly in danger, then perhaps those folks should and could be released quicker than others. But it's not as easy as claiming asylum, nor should it be. Illegals in many ways are costing us millions and million and millions.

19. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)

You are free to argue its merit, but it's been the US custom to protect/shelter lives that are truly in danger (for documented reasons).
    Yeah. That.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke