Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Honest request - can you please post for me the laws/guidelines that dictate fines or anything else regarding employing illegals? I can't find hard data.

But what I do find, which isn't government stuff, shows that penalties can be. These DO seem pretty stiff, but I don't hear much about them being applied.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-libra...mmigrants.html

Here's the actual code Jim

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1324a

This law has been in effect since Nov of 1986, and you'd be hard pressed to find 50 people who have been charged I'd bet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Y'all must not live on the border. This has been a hot topic around here since as far back as I can recall. Even IF bust, it's a wrist-slapper for the employer. Fact is, they can afford to get caught and most consider it just part of the risk of doing business. If they'd slam the Hell out of these employers it isn't going to stop illegal immigration. Nothing will. But I bet it would put one Hell of a dent in the number of people willing to risk it if they risk losing everything.

Here's one example of what goes on daily, and I have seen it first hand. Subcontractor hires labor. He's a US citizen. For rough construction work (unskilled labor), half the wetbacks can't speak English and most are illegals. The Contractor buffers himself from the law with the subcontractor, and pretends he didn't know when his ass is all over the job site every day. You couldn't "not know".

The subcontractor pays in cash and the wetbacks go home with the money once a month or so. If they get caught and deported, they're back on the job within a month. They aren't paying taxes nor providing any other support to the social infrastructure in the communities where they work. They'll shack up as many as they can in one apt, and they split cost right down to the loaf of bread.

I'm serious. You get behind them (they swarm the stop-n-robs like locusts in Suburbans) in line and one gets the bread, one gets the cheese, one the lunch meat, one gets the ice, one the sodas/water etc. Every morning. They hit the beer coolers the same way on the way home. That's just one group. Now multiply it by the thousands.

And THAT is life in South Texas on any given workday.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

3. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Y'all must not live on the border. This has been a hot topic around here since as far back as I can recall. Even IF bust, it's a wrist-slapper for the employer. Fact is, they can afford to get caught and most consider it just part of the risk of doing business. If they'd slam the Hell out of these employers it isn't going to stop illegal immigration. Nothing will. But I bet it would put one Hell of a dent in the number of people willing to risk it if they risk losing everything.

Here's one example of what goes on daily, and I have seen it first hand. Subcontractor hires labor. He's a US citizen. For rough construction work (unskilled labor), half the wetbacks can't speak English and most are illegals. The Contractor buffers himself from the law with the subcontractor, and pretends he didn't know when his ass is all over the job site every day. You couldn't "not know".

The subcontractor pays in cash and the wetbacks go home with the money once a month or so. If they get caught and deported, they're back on the job within a month. They aren't paying taxes nor providing any other support to the social infrastructure in the communities where they work. They'll shack up as many as they can in one apt, and they split cost right down to the loaf of bread.

I'm serious. You get behind them (they swarm the stop-n-robs like locusts in Suburbans) in line and one gets the bread, one gets the cheese, one the lunch meat, one gets the ice, one the sodas/water etc. Every morning. They hit the beer coolers the same way on the way home. That's just one group. Now multiply it by the thousands.

And THAT is life in South Texas on any given workday.
    And the law, which I posted a link to, is clear that contractor is guilty of a crime, Hiring a sub contractor who then hires illegals is still breaking the law. Because as you point out, that contractor knows, and that is exactly why they use a sub contractor.

I expected Trump to come in and crack skulls. But instead he's without question let some on the right convince him that going after employers isn't good.

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    And the law, which I posted a link to, is clear that contractor is guilty of a crime, Hiring a sub contractor who then hires illegals is still breaking the law. Because as you point out, that contractor knows, and that is exactly why they use a sub contractor.

I expected Trump to come in and crack skulls. But instead he's without question let some on the right convince him that going after employers isn't good.
    I agree with your first paragraph. Not sure on the second.

I'm not by any stretch going to go down in history as President Trump's greatest fan. However, the incidences I was thinking of while posting my response occurred on GWBs watch. It's institutionalized graft and I don't think you can point a finger at any one person.

FTR, I have stated for years on whatever message boards I was on that if they'd nail the Hell out of the employers it would solve part of the problem. There is no one, single way to stop illegal immigration to even a trickle. It has to be attacked from both ends. Police the border AND dry up the reason for illegals wanting to come here.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

7. Thanks Elessar, STTAB thanked this post
    Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I agree with your first paragraph. Not sure on the second.

I'm not by any stretch going to go down in history as President Trump's greatest fan. However, the incidences I was thinking of while posting my response occurred on GWBs watch. It's institutionalized graft and I don't think you can point a finger at any one person.

FTR, I have stated for years on whatever message boards I was on that if they'd nail the Hell out of the employers it would solve part of the problem. There is no one, single way to stop illegal immigration to even a trickle. It has to be attacked from both ends. Police the border AND dry up the reason for illegals wanting to come here.
    I guess STAAB did not listen to what I wrote back on #11. That happened when GWB was in office.

I do not need to be versed on Immigration Laws. I learned them from Maritime Law Enforcement training.
    We had to know them as well as BATFE laws.
    Last edited by Elessar; 04-25-2019 at 12:45 AM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I guess STAAB did not listen to what I wrote back on #11. That happened when GWB was in office.

I do not need to be versed on Immigration Laws. I learned them from Maritime Law Enforcement training.
    We had to know them as well as BATFE laws.
    I wasn't "versing" you . Jimmy asked me to show him the actual law.

The people who need "versing" are in DC. That's the saddest thing, our own "leaders" either don't know, or don't care about the damn laws of the country they are ruling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I worked for a vineyard management company in California about 10 years ago that hired illegals. However, on paper they were not illegals. Every single one filled out an I-9 and provided legal identification. Every single one had a Social Security card and ID.

So, we did exactly what we were required to do. They were paid by check and taxes were taken out and forwarded to government entities. At the time we were not required to use the EVerify program.

I believe the ones that came back every year were here legally. I firmly believe those that didn't come back used forged documents. It would take IRS about 2 years to match up the names on payroll reports with 1040s and ask us for current info so they could track down those that didn't file. By then they were no longer employed.

My employers corporate attorney said we were not legally required to use EVerify. It's up to states to mandate.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I worked for a vineyard management company in California about 10 years ago that hired illegals. However, on paper they were not illegals. Every single one filled out an I-9 and provided legal identification. Every single one had a Social Security card and ID.

So, we did exactly what we were required to do. They were paid by check and taxes were taken out and forwarded to government entities. At the time we were not required to use the EVerify program.

I believe the ones that came back every year were here legally. I firmly believe those that didn't come back used forged documents. It would take IRS about 2 years to match up the names on payroll reports with 1040s and ask us for current info so they could track down those that didn't file. By then they were no longer employed.

My employers corporate attorney said we were not legally required to use EVerify. It's up to states to mandate.
    E verify and the Real ID Act have both been on the books for over a decade and still not been fully enacted because neither party really wants to pay more than lip service to illegal immigration.