Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

california is retarded

Quote Originally Posted by AFbombloader View Post
    PIERRE - A bill that would have required high school students to apply to a post-secondary school died in committee this morning in Pierre.

Even the sponsor, Sen. Cooper Garnos, R-Presho, admitted there were flaws in Senate Bill 67, which would have required students, before graduating, to submit at least one application to a "college, university or other post-secondary institution."

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...e106548630.txt

At least the legislators in South Dakota have some sense. Can you imagine being required to apply for college! I know for me, college was just something I did not want to do right after high school.

If this was a bill in a wacked out state like CA it would pass.

AF

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Again, I don't see the value in making this a requirement. If something like this goes through, what is next? What other requirements are waiting in line. Let the students decide what they want to do. Making them get accepted when they have no desire to attend is assinine.

AF
    The value is a better educated youth, a plus for us all.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybone View Post
    i think to produce higher higher levels of academic achievement/education, they need to start being a bit tougher on the kids. they don't learn anything when the current education system passes kids to the next grade when they shouldn't cuz "no one should be left behind" or "don't want them to feel stupid". when i read papers from sixth graders that are full of spelling errors that they should've learned in the 3rd or 4th grade, it's sad. i feel like they are cheating these kids when they basically "let them pass" a grade. this even goes along with when they give trophies to everyone. can't hurt anyones feelings and such. don't make the winner special, since he worked harder or anything. they are namy-pamby to these kids and then wonder why they have such a had time adjusting to real life when failure isn't exactly accepted with a pat on the back.

just my two cents/rant.
    I think a requirement such as this would affect the administration just as much as the students, don't you? Admin must produce so students don't fail, students must preform, so they graduate. It's a win, win..IMO

Cept for when the NEA gets wind of it...OH hell, never mind!

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    The value is a better educated youth, a plus for us all.
    Exactly how does student "A" get better educated if he/she applies and is accepted to Armpit Community College?

All this will do is put $$$ in the coffers of the "institutions" that are having to be applied to. The same kids who want to go to "post secondary" education/training will still go. The others will have wasted their parents hard earned money.

If you want better educated kids, then we need to address the failing education system iin this country. This does not do that inany way shape or form.

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    california is retarded
    I know, I grew up there and will never go back.

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im in san diego, and its a sanctuary city, california is just a sewer pipe for bad ideas.

I know, I grew up there and will never go back.

AF

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    im in san diego, and its a sanctuary city, california is just a sewer pipe for bad ideas.
    I wish you guys would contain yer sewage, it seems to seep across America!

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

as do i, as do i

the minutemen here are fighting to stop the sanctuary city

I wish you guys would contain yer sewage, it seems to seep across America!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are totally missing the point. Should we require them to play sports? It will be good for them physically, since statistically the majority of them are overweight. Same thing. Just as ignorant to the real world.
    Sure, in a perfect world, all students will go to college, be successful, and go on to do whatever they want. But this is not that world. And the majority of automechanics I have knows have gotten their training through hands on experience, trade schools, or apprenticeships. Not college. Bad example. Do I want an accountant that knows what he is doing? Or a doctor? Yes. But no more that I want the guy installing my cable or phone to know what he is doing. Do they "need" to go to college? Or better yet, should they have been required to go? How many successfull people didn't go to college?

AF

actually PE requires kids that don't want to ... to play sports.... my son is no good at math and all he wants to do is science and act ..... where do want the "musts" to stop ... if the govt is going to pay for your education don't they get to set the rules they provide it under....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Exactly how does student "A" get better educated if he/she applies and is accepted to Armpit Community College?

AF
    It's not that "A" gets better educated if he/she applies and is accepted. It's "A" gets better educated in preparation to meet the standards to be accepted.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The whole point of this "must apply" to college is so that they have the option, if they choose. They just have to apply, not attend, they can still turn down the offer to attend.

Speaking of which, did you hear about this "Must register for the draft" law?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chessplayer View Post
    The whole point of this "must apply" to college is so that they have the option, if they choose. They just have to apply, not attend, they can still turn down the offer to attend.

draft is good for you.....much prefered over bottles.....i'm in

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not that "A" gets better educated if he/she applies and is accepted. It's "A" gets better educated in preparation to meet the standards to be accepted.
    This has nothing to do with getting educated! Where do you get that any student will be taught better if he has to be accepted to a post secondary program? All I see is you assuming that fact. What will happen is some person or organization will appear and accept anyone for a small fee. And the kids who are going to not go will give their $$ to them. It will not affect learning at all.

manu1959 - actually PE requires kids that don't want to ... to play sports.... my son is no good at math and all he wants to do is science and act ..... where do want the "musts" to stop ... if the govt is going to pay for your education don't they get to set the rules they provide it under....

If your son doesn't want to take math, then he can stop after the graduation requirements are met and take whatever he wants. Do you feel he will be better off if he stops? How can you do anything in science without math? You cant. So let him hamper himself. This is not about education! This is placing a requirement on these kids that has nothing to do with high school. Can we require that they go get a job? Can we require that they serve inthe military? Can we require that they spend a year on a mission trip to Africa? The answer is no to all three. What is the difference?

AF

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chessplayer View Post

Not every student is required. There is about 50% that doesn't. And the selective service is not about placing another graduation requirement on everyone. It doesn't apply here. You don't have to register with the SSS, it will negatively affect you later in life because you will not be able to do certain things, but you do not have to.

AF

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    draft is good for you.....much prefered over bottles.....i'm in

Agreed, draft is much better!

AF

Mark Twain